Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Shooting with a Passion


Shooting with a Passion:

Photography for me is a means of an expression and is a passion. What is a passion?

The dictionary says a "Boundless enthusiasm."

Nowadays, there are so many people shooting that lack that boundless enthusiasm. There are too many people wasting precious time over such irrelevant details as technical specifications when they should be thinking of the next self assignment or producing something beautiful.

I have come to realize something: lens and camera are much less important compared to the person behind the camera. Too much time goes into changing lenses and worrying about which one to carry for that day. My typical 35mm film outfit is simply an old school Nikon and a metal 28mm lens - this probably accounts for 90-95% of my needs for that format. For medium format film cameras, the Yashica 635 is a fixed lens at the equivalent of 50mm on 35mm film or a normal perspective lens. As to my digital outfit, I used a D300 , 80-200mm 2.8 Nikkor lens, and a 50mm 1.8 Nikkors lens. I just simply think more than 2 lenses is overkill - 1 is preferable of course.

Once I have the camera outfit ready, I concentrate on just finding interesting subjects to shoot. The camera is just an instrument; the rest must be done by me.

No comments:

Post a Comment